About Chimney Cake House
Chimney Cake House is a new startup company soon to open in the Doncaster area in South Yorkshire with plans to expand with a chain of Chimney Cake House’s in the future. The company will specialise in making and selling Chimney Cakes as the main focus of the brand, they will also introduce making and selling other traditional sweet and savory cakes.
The idea behind the name comes from Chimney Cake, It’s a kind of spit cake. It is made from rolled dough that is wrapped around a stick, then grilled and topped with sugar and walnut mix and topped with various ingredients. Also known as trdelnik and kurtoskalacs. This kind of cake is well known in many European countries (Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Luxembourg.
The UK bakery market is worth £3.5 billion. Most of the UK population haven’t heard of chimney cakes before. There is only two business in England producing this product, one bakery shop in London, and, online delivery in Leeds through just eat.co.uk. The aroma of freshly baked chimney cake topped with delicious toppings will make your mouth water!.
Create a new logo / visual identity for Chimney Cake House
Important information points gathered from the Logo design meeting and brief
- Our product will be always baked – never fried, only minimum amount of oil is used in production. It is also always made from fresh ingredients.
- The idea behind the name comes from chimney cake, or it’s traditional name trdelnik or kurtos kalacs. It’s a kind of spit cake. It is made from rolled dough that is wrapped around a stick, then grilled and topped with sugar and walnut mix
- This kind of cake is well known in many European countries (Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, Luxembourg
- Chimney cakes will be the main selling point however, we will be introducing and selling other cakes.
- Our target market includes all age range from children to senior, basically, anyone who is looking for some sweet treat.
- Our competitors are any other bakeries/patisserie/rotisserie in the area who are selling sweet or savory pastry.
- Don’t have any preferences, it could be something in the shape of stamp – circle or partial circle, There could be some picture or symbol incorporated in the logo in the shape of spiral or tornado – in fact, the shape of the chimney cake itself.
- Logo preferable, not colorful, white, shades of grey or black will do. If any background color, I would prefer some shade of grey or dark. Our menu will be in dark grey or black.
- UK bakery market is worth £3.5 billion. Most of UK population haven’t heard of chimney cake before (also called trdelnik, kurtos kalacs). Chimney cake is made from rolled dough, wrapped around a stick, grilled then topped with various ingredients. Only two business in England producing this product, one bakery shop in London, and, online delivery in Leeds through just eat. Thomas said, “The aroma of freshly baked chimney cake topped with delicious toppings will make your mouth water!”
To create a visual identity for Chimney Cake House that represents their business and what they do in a friendly and professional way. It will also position them as a reputable choice on first brand interaction.
Chimney Cake House is a new company that is due to launch in 2018 and is unique for making and selling Chimney Cakes also known as its traditional name trdelnik or kurtos kalacs that’s kind of a spit cake made from rolled dough that is wrapped around a stick then grilled and topped with sugar and walnut mix. This type of cake is well known in many European countries such as Slovakia, Czech Republic, Austria, Hungary, and Luxembourg. These types of cakes will be the main selling point for the brand but they will also sell other cakes.
Opportunity & Process
This project had a lengthy time frame due to lots of business preparation before launch We set up a meeting in person with the founder of Chimney Cake House Tomas and his business partner to discuss his requirements.
Incorporating a dough like a look to the lettering is a direction we proposed and wanted to explore and secondly incorporating a house to represent Chimney Cake House which the client was happy for us to do so. Tomas only requirement as far as the look was he wanted a handmade crafted look and feel to the design to represent a handmade fun/vintage type feel and look to be presented in a circular shape.
We also recommended using the logo as a stamp on bags to add more of a vintage / handmade vibe to the overall presentation and experience of the brand and Tomas and his business partner really liked this idea.
They were also very keen on the logo been purely black and white.
We started the project with the research stage so we fully understood all about Chimney Cakes and their history although a unique market we researched into their competitors and target market.
We even went as far as going through the process of making the Chimney Cakes and the process behind them with a mind map chart
Research & Concepts
Below are some pictures of the rough concept sketches we did and narrowing down on the final direction for the logo design, *you can click them to enlarge.
What We Accomplished
The final result is a logo that gives a personal connection with the use of rounded corners and a human element of the custom type. The final identity captures attention visually, works well in black and white and any other colour if applied. It remains legible at a range of different sizes and the “cch” icon works well on its own as a brand mark.
The overall logo’s end result combined a clever mix of incorporating a dough like feel to the icons custom lettering also incorporating rounded corners and roll effect with a house to represent chimney cake house.
We created a fun handmade crafted look and feel which has a vintage touch and stamp like effect.
The client was really happy with the final logo design when we presented it in a face to face meeting. The company is in the opening stages and we will update when they open and provide more images.
Whilst looking for a logo designer online, Andrew stood out with his interesting portfolio and willingness to discuss details face to face. He listened to all our expectations and came up with some great ideas. High standard of communication during the whole process and the result couldn’t be better. Price very competitive which is an important factor for all small start-up businesses. Would use Andrew’s knowledge again without hesitation!
Tomas & Stefan