A brand is commonly defined as a distinct design, sign, symbol, words, or a combination of these, used to create an image that distinguishes a product or business from its competitors. In this article we discuss Brand Identity Questions: The Importance of Being Unique.
One of the world’s leading businessmen, Jeff Bezos of Amazon, says that your brand is:
“What other people say about you (or your business) when you’re not in the room.”
Simply put, a brand is a summation of what people collectively think about your products, vision, and content. This includes the design, symbol, logo of your brand as well as everything you do to promote the business.
It also includes your social media campaign to how you package your products, the design, and many more others.
Overall, at a mention of the name of your business or whatever product you offer, people picture your brand in their minds based on any encounter they may have had with it.
Like it or not, this includes whatever news, good or bad, they may have heard or been told about your product.
Brand Identity is made up of all of these elements, whether they can be physically seen (the brand’s logo) or they are a product of your promotional campaigns and popularity/unpopularity in the market!
This means that of the things that make up a brand, the physically obvious ones represent the brand’s identity. These are the brand’s design, logo, signature color, tag lines, mascot, and a few more others.
These physical elements are what are displayed as you try to boost your business; hence, they are a crucial part of the brand’s identity.
For example, a mention of any “Apple” product gets you thinking about the brand’s famous logo, a bitten apple.
Indeed, the need for a unique brand identity that just perfectly sums up your product or service can never be over-emphasized. Read on for more information about these elements of brand identity and the things that make them a significant part of your brand’s image.
1. The “face” of your business can make or mar it
From the illustration above, it can be said that Apple’s famous logo is their “face.” It is the one thing that remains constant all over the world!
What can be more important than that?
This strongly indicates that getting your business a unique logo design is just as important as the services you offer. You may have to contact an expert that will help you develop a logo that doesn’t just look cool, artsy, or elegant, but that “fits” your business.
Steps to creating a brand logo:
- First, understand the reason you need a logo.
- Have a good grasp of what you want your brand identity to be.
- Think up inspiration for your design.
- Check out the competition. Yes, this is quite important, and remember, authenticity is key!
- With the help of a designer, choose your design style.
- Find the right type of logo, pay attention to color, and typography.
- Go through your logo options and recommendations with your designer.
It is best advised that you do all of the above in collaboration with an expert. It saves time, energy, and you get top quality results. However, make sure you properly communicate your needs to your designer all through the process.
2. Unique brand identity will earn you new customers and keep the existing ones
As mentioned above, there are a lot of factors that constitute a brand’s identity. An ideal brand has a distinct face (logo), is trustworthy, and successfully propagates its mission whatever it may be.
Earning all of that is no easy task, but when you do get it, you are sure to become known for quality. You earn sterling reviews from existing customers and make them look forward to hearing from you or seeing more of your products.
Unique brand identity will also win you, new customers, with existing ones even helping to promote you to their close associates! Nothing beats the level of trust that this advocacy instills into the consumer population.
3. A credible and trustworthy brand identity gives you an edge over your competitors
For every business startup idea, there are about five more out there. This is what makes the business world very competitive and sometimes edgy.
However, you must be aware that there are some ways to overcome competition. The general idea is gaining the label of being the best and if possible, the first to a particular customer base.
Ever wonder why Apple always wins out over the many other technology brands, no matter whatever promise they hold, out there? It is the brand identity they have built over the decades and have worked hard to maintain.
When you have a brand that can never be labeled “fake” or “unoriginal,” you have won the battle against your competitors. Start by getting yourself a unique brand identity, a trusting customer base (through credibility), and you are well on your way to success!
4. Your brand identity forms the center about which you base your advertising impressions
This particularly stresses the importance of getting your brand an authentic “face.” Together with the type of product or service you render, your brand’s face is crucial when it comes to advertisements.
The face of your brand, along with credibility, forms a template for nearly everything that you do to promote it. This ranges from promotional campaigns to social media ventures, commercials on TV or even YouTube, etc.
What better way to make a lasting impression than through an ad that, whether simple or over the top, speaks to the target population?
5. Your brand identity helps to establish your company’s mission and, subsequently, wins you, customers
When your brand’s identity is well-known and is found credible by a large population, you are giving it a reason to continue existing. This makes up your mission — to create X product (e.g. computerized walking aids) in a bid to promote Y (e.g. the advent of health technology).
Now, your company has a purpose. Whether it is just a short sentence or an explicitly detailed testimonial, the importance of a company’s mission can never be over-emphasized.
To pen down one that is very convincing, get your brand a unique brand identity first.
In conclusion, here are a few tips that will help you create a brand identity.
- Determine your audience, value proposition, and competition.
- As outlined above, Hire a professional logo designer to do the job correctly.
- Make sure to create distinct language (e.g. taglines) that you can use to connect, promote, and embody your business on social media platforms.
- Always monitor the competition to know what to avoid while creating your brand’s identity. You don’t want to confuse your customers or be accused of plagiarism!
- Keep a close tab on your brand at all times and never lose grasp of its identity.
We hope you have enjoyed this article about Brand Identity Questions: The Importance of Being Unique. If your looking to learn about brand strategy the course you need is Brand Master Secrets is a goldmine of knowledge
Useful Links & Great Deals
- The Equipment We Use & Recommend
- Quality Design Bundles
- Get 2 Months free Skillshare
- Get an Exclusive 20% off Logo Package Express
- Learn Logo Design Online
Lilian O’Brien is a passionate journalist who enjoys writing about psychology and human relationships. Over the course of her career, she was a regular contributor to major media publications, and currently, she serves as an editor for onlinechatdatingsites.com